As part of the school’s commitment to wellbeing, we are continuing to offer parent talks to build positive relationships and strengthen connections across the AISHK community. We also aim to offer practical tools relevant to the landscape of parenting today.
Our Term 4 talk is titled “The Digital Dilemma – A Parent’s Guide to Keeping Children Safe in the Digital World”.
Date: Tuesday 29 October
Time: 8:30am – 10:00am
Venue: AISHK – Attendees will be advised of the specific room prior to the event
This roundtable style discussion will be co-facilitated by our Secondary Psychologist Bernadette Spencer, our Primary Psychologist Jean McPherson and Tara Bennett from the Wild Heart Project. Tara is an AISHK parent and Teen Life Coach, who works both one-on-one with teens and facilitates workshops in schools.
The talk will explore aspects related to the current ‘digital dilemma’ in relation to our children and, in some cases, with ourselves.
Areas of discussion include:
- The impact of social media on our emotions;
- Factors influencing decisions about your child owning a phone;
- Recommendations about responsible digital usage guidelines (informed by Susan McLean, Cybersafety expert)
- Ideas for conversation starters about children’s online footprint and safety
- Recommendations for websites and apps to manage your children’s digital usage.
Our School Psychologists, Bernadette Spencer and Jean McPherson, will also be sharing information on how digital devices can impact the ever-growing teenage brain.
We also hope that parents will share their insights and knowledge so that we can build on the wealth of experience in our community.
To register for this event, please click here.
Kiely Murphy | Director of Student Wellbeing, Careers Advisor