A special welcome back to Term 3 from all the Library Staff. This term is very significant for us as we celebrate Book Week in Week 6!
As mentioned previously, the theme this year is:
A reminder that on Friday 31 August Reception-Year 6 students may dress as their favourite book character or perhaps as something related to this year’s theme. On this day, there will be a parade around the field, a Primary Assembly and a Book Fair in the library (more information to come later).
It is the time of year once again to begin our Reading Challenge. The aim of this reading challenge is to reward students for reading and to encourage them to read books which are appropriate to their age, as well as broaden the types of books they read.
- Children read daily and record minutes they read on the treasure map
- Record the title of the book and state if it is a book from home, a library book or a
- Parents tally up minutes read and initial the total each week
- At the end of the competition, parents sign the form and submit it to the class teacher
- Staff record minutes read each week
- Students receive a small prize from the library after different time goals have been met
- Once completed, sheets will be collated, and the library staff will issue a certificate
This challenge was an enormous success last year, please encourage your child to participate and help them to record their minutes and books daily. We thank you in advance for your support.
During this term, the library lessons will focus on reading and discussing the shortlisted books from The Children’s Book Council of Australia. In Early Childhood, we will focus on the Early Childhood Book of the Year category and in Primary classes we will look at both the Early Childhood Book of the Year and the Picture Book of the Year categories. All students will have the opportunity to vote for their favourite book and we will wait in suspense to see who the actual winner is. All will be revealed in Book Week!
I’d love to collect some photos from you of your children reading. Perhaps you happened to snap a great photo when you were on your recent holiday? With our theme being ‘Find Your Treasure’ this year, I can’t wait to see what photos we can gather. Please email me at email@example.com
Nicole Atkins | Primary Teacher Librarian